Compact Bone (Cortical Bone)
Cortical is dense and compact. It forms the outer layer of the bone.
Made mostly of , is living, growing . Collagen is a that provides a soft framework, and is a that adds strength and hardens the framework. This combination of collagen and calcium makes bone strong and flexible enough to withstand stress. More than 99 percent of the body’s calcium is contained in the and . The remaining 1 percent is found in the .
Two types of found in the body—cortical and trabecular. Cortical bone is dense and compact. It forms the outer layer of the bone. makes up the inner layer of the bone and has a spongy, honeycomb-like structure.