June 6, 2016 — Hot water in garden hoses that have been left in the sun can cause scalding, Las Vegas fire officials say.
In the warning issued Tuesday, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue cited a case that occurred two years ago. A 9-month old baby suffered second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body after being sprayed with scalding water from a hose heating by the sun, CBS News reported.
“Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals,” the fire department warned.
It recommended letting water flow from a hose for a few minutes so that it can cool before it’s sprayed on people or animals, CBS News reported.
Copyright © 2013-2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Share this Post